On board Commodore Thomas Macdonough's flagship during the 1814 Battle of Lake Champlain, a fighting cock got loose and taunted British ships from her rigging, ostensibly the first "air strike" from a ship named Saratoga (the second American ship to bear the name). As the crest from the CV 60 (right) indicates, this rooster greatly resembles a Rhode Island Red!
Links to ships that bore the name USS Saratoga (from sail to steam), Quonset Point NAS and Davisville abound on the World Wide Web. Here's a sampling of what's out there. Selecting any hyperlink will open a new window -- there's no need to reload this page.
Other Naval Museums and Memorial Sites:
- USS RANGER Museum Foundation - CV(A)-61 museum effort
- USS RANGER (CV-A 61) memorial site
- USS Forrestal Museum, Inc. - the Baltimore, MD organization.
- USS Forrestal Sea*Air*Space Museum, Inc. - the Tampa, FL organization.
- USS Forrestal Naval Museum, Inc. - the Bensalem, PA organization.
- USS Forrestal Association
- USS Missouri Memorial Association, Honolulu, HI
- Patriots Point Naval & Maritime Museum, Charleston, SC
- Intrepid Sea*Air*Space Museum, New York City
- USS Hornet Museum, Alameda, CA
- San Diego Aircraft Carrier Museum - USS Midway
- USS LEXINGTON Museum, Corpus Christi, TX
- Independence Seaport Museum, Philadelphia, PA
- Battleship Cove, Fall River, Mass.
- United States Naval & Shipbuilding Museum, Quincy, Mass.
- USS Alabama Battleship Memorial Park
- USS North Carolina Battleship Memorial
- Submarine Force Museum, Groton, CT.
- Ships on the Web: Naval Ship Museums in the United States
- Air and Space Museum Listings
- USS Wasp - CV/CVA/CVS-18
- USS Lake Champlain (CV/CVA/CVS-39)
- USS America Carrier Veterans Association
- Aircraft Carrier Memorial Association
Other Web Sites of Interest to Veterans and Friends:
- ComradesandColleagues.com - a military reunion site for the UK, Canada, NZ and Australia, with links to many US associations.
- Photogshanger.Com - a personal web site from Andrew Shippin, an aviation aficionado and professional photographer in northern Virginia, USA.
- The Naval Order of the United States (NOUS) - The history and heritage society for the United States sea services.
- VA-105 and VFA-105 "Gunslingers" - web site for the Light Attack and Twilight Pursuit Squadron aboard SARATOGA.
- Kilroy Was Here - a web site that bills itself as "The most comprehensive and readable WWII and Korean war site on the web."
- Aircraft Restoration and Marketing - an aircraft products and services corporation situated next to Davis-Monthan Air Force Base in Tucson, Arizona.
- Diary in the Pacific - Jack "Weary" McKnight recorded experiences aboard the U.S.S. Essex, CV 9, from 1943 through 1945
- USS Holder DD/DDE 819 - home port for the USS Holder Association.
- Fleet Air Arm Archive - large, comprehensive web site from Great Britain with links to museums, societies, and preservation projects around the world.
- BikiniAtoll.Com - web site with a wealth of information, photos, and even videos of CV-3, which was sunk during the Baker blast of the Bikini atomic testing series (Operation Crossroads) in the Marshall Islands in 1946.
- Atomic Archeology - site maintained by the National Park Service which contains more information and survey data of the sunken remains of CV-3.
- U.S. Navy Blue Angels Alumni Association
- Navy Recruiting Station, Warwick, RI
- USS LST 494 Association - site dedicated to LST (Landing Ship - Tank) 494 and her crew.
- Aircraft Carriers in the United States Navy - from the Chief of Naval Information (CHINFO).
- The Rhode Island Pilots Association - RIPA has formally endorsed our proposal.
- The Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation - important information on the future of Quonset Point/Davisville can be found here.
- NavSource Online: Aircraft Carrier Photo Archive - link complements of William Gilliam of the AGC Flagship Alliance. Great picture of USS LEYTE at the carrier pier in Quonset Point, ca 1952.
- AGC Flagship Alliance - USN AGC, LCC and Coast Guard WAGC web site.
- The Unofficial web site of the USS LEYTE (CV-32)
- Veteran Net - the Veterans Helping Veterans Employment & Resource Service.
- Naval Base Hobbies - Plastic Modelship Building, World War II Model Ships, Modern Warship Models.
- USS Pueblo - the official AGER-2 web site.
- A Tribute to the USS Pueblo (AGER-2) - remembering the Pueblo.